Featured

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why Mubarak Leaked His "Resignation"

The rumors that Mubarak was going to step down today were widely heard across the world.  Protesters listened in quiet anticipation to hear the words they had been fighting so hard to hear...but 12 1/2 minutes into Hosni Mubarak's speech, all of their built up anticipation had turned to anger.  They realized he wasn't resigning, and the anti-Mubarak chants erupted into deafening roars.

What purpose was there to build everyone up to a resolution to the revolution only to bring them crashing down?  Did Mubarak just decide backstage he had changed his mind?

I think not.  This was Mubarak's plan all along; he built up the hopes of the protesters so that he could maximize their anger and frustration.  He wants the protesters to get violent, so he can justify a massive brutal crackdown on the men and women he claims to respect.

Mark my words, folks.  The brutality we've seen thus far is only a taste of things to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the added benefit of seeing clearly who among his own regime will remain loyal and who will not, i.e. who are the rats? There are a lot of people in Cairo tonight that are scared out of their wits about their comfy positions within the regime...
Just my 2c

Tim Wood said...

I hope you're wrong, and that we've passed some magical tipping point that makes a smooth exit in his interests.

TheChickAbides said...

@Anonymous: Good point. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...interesting and heartbreaking at the same time.

@Tim Wood: I do too. However, in the worst case scenario, I just hope that he doesn't succeed. I suspect that the groundswell of support for the movement is too large to be intimidated, but there's no real way to know. I just hope he gives up. One of the few times in my life I HOPE I'm wrong.

Post a Comment

 

The Chick Abides Design by Insight © 2009